First off, if you've been following this blog, thank you, and please leave some comments because I'd love to hear from you. Also, if you have tips to share on how a particular job could be done better, please share it with me.
In my last post, I had the forks apart to change the oil seals. When I did that, it gave me the chance to clean out the speedometer housing.
I'm not sure if it's ever been cleaned, but it was really dirty. Filthy would be a better word. So I dismantled the housing and cleaned everything up with paint thinner.
The housing is a simple assembly. There's the outer aluminum casing and a plastic geared centre. This geared plastic piece is splined to the front axle, and it spins when the wheel spins. This plastic piece in turn spins the speedometer cable, which tells the meter how fast you're going.
There are two very thin washers that sit between the plastic centre and the aluminum casing. I guess this is to prevent wear and to prevent the plastic piece from spinning directly on the casing itself.
Today, I had some help from my lovely assistant. She starts by lubricating the inside of the speedometer cable housing. This is where the washers are going to sit, so it's important to get some grease in there. She does it by squeezing the grease in with a stick.
Next she lubricates the washers with waterproof grease before assembly. I used brake caliper grease for this. Apologies for the poor picture quality.
If you haven't already, please follow this blog.
If you have ideas or methods to do this better, please comment on the blog!
Thanks for reading, use your tools, and happy wrenching!